Sous Chef (San Diego)
We are looking for a Sous Chef to join our growing San Diego Brewery Restaurant Management team! The Brewery Restaurant Sous Chef is responsible for effectively managing all operations of the kitchen in his/her assigned brewery restaurant location under limited to no supervision in the Brewery Restaurant Chef’s absence. This position is a “hands-on, multi-tasking” position, which requires working on the line during high volume periods as well as leading his/her team of direct reports.
Essential Functions & Duties
Quality of Operations:
- Provides proper and detailed training and/or seminars for all direct reports.
Provides timely and detailed performance evaluations of direct reports.
- Assists in leading monthly department meetings incorporating topics such as communication, safety and security, adherence to recipe specifications, internal policies and procedures, and various other topics as needed.
- Analyzes, forecasts, schedules, and directs the work of direct reports.
Manages assigned hourly staff including maintaining proper staffing levels, approving schedule changes, making recommendations on hiring/firing/wage adjustments, approving overtime hours, providing prompt and detailed disciplinary action when necessary, and providing for meal and rest breaks.
- Creates and fosters a solid working relationship with all members of the BR management team to create unity between the front and back of house.
- Assists the Brewery Restaurant Chef in placing product orders utilizing the established procedures, products and approved vendors.
- Conducts periodic audits and inspections of the preparation and line areas to ensure recipe specifications are met; taking corrective action as needed.
Creates and fosters authentic relationships with approved vendors and ensure the accuracy of all orders placed.
- Manages the dating and proper rotation of all food products training hourly employees on FIFO rotation system.
- Makes recommendations to the Brewery Restaurant Chef on new and/or existing recipes streamlining efficiency and execution.
Periodically visits tables to create authentic relationships with our BR guests.
Takes initiative as needed to ensure excellence in all areas of execution.
Analyzes prior sales and labor data to make recommendations to the Brewery Restaurant Chef regarding the kitchen’s annual operating budget.
Provides accurate and updated inventories on assigned areas of the BR to the Brewery Restaurant Chef at month end.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 3-4 years applicable experience within a full service, high volume restaurant in a multi-unit concept.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent. Professional culinary education and/or background preferred.
- Successful completion of the ServSafe training program and/or current Food Handler’s Card.
- Effective communication and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Experience with Aloha POS systems and GAAP practices perferred.
- Must be able to work in a high-volume, fast-paced setting, prioritizing work assignments and managing multiple projects at one time.
If you are interested in this position please submit your resume along with cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com, utilizing reference code SC314.