Congratulations. Share it. Cheers.
Congratulations to Jim Roberts for winning first place with his “South Park Nut Brown Ale,” an American-Style Brown Ale. This beer was incredibly smooth and well balanced with rich notes of caramel and chocolate. Second place went to a delicious American-Style India Pale Ale, “OTP IPA,” brewed by Dan Smith. Last, but certainly not least, third place was awarded to a very flavorful Imperial India Pale Ale christened “Hop Charmer IIPA,” brewed by Andrew Bell. We look forward to brewing the “South Park Nut Brown Ale” with Jim in July. The finished beer will be served in all seven Karl Strauss Brewery Restaurant locations and will be entered into this year’s GABF Pro-Am Competition. Thank you to all who submitted!
And the winners are...
Nut Brown Ale
Brewer – Jim Roberts
Brewer – Dan Smith
Hop Charmer II IPA
Brewer – Andrew Bell
About the Pro-Am Brewing Contest
Are you a Homebrewer? Do you want to spend a day brewing with the Karl Strauss Brewing Team and have your beer tasted by thousands of fans? Well, here’s your shot.
Karl Strauss Brewing Company will once again be hosting its Pro-Am brewing contest this June. The Grand Prize winner will brew in collaboration with our brewing team and will also have their beer debuted in our brewery restaurants. In addition, the winning beer will be entered to compete in this year’s GABF Pro-Am competition.
This is where you come in. We know you’ve got great ideas and some tasty brews just waiting to be brewed on a large-scale system. So, dust off that carboy and get the creative juices flowing. The contest is open to any beer style and is free to enter. Read the details below and good luck! Cheers.
- All entrants must be 21 years of age or older and a Southern California resident.
- To be eligible to win the grand prize and brew with Karl Strauss, you must be an AHA member (must show AHA card when you drop off your samples).
- No Karl Strauss staff member or employee of any other brewery may win the grand prize.
- All entries must be home made for private non-commercial use.
- All entries must be beers that Karl Strauss can reproduce on a commercial scale. Special ingredients, prolonged aging, unique fermentation practices, etc. might inhibit chances of winning due to logistical/time constraints. If in doubt, feel free to call the home office with your questions (858.581.7336).
- Entries are due in person to the Karl Strauss Home Office (5965 Santa Fe Street Suite E, San Diego, CA 92109) no later than 5pm on May 29, 2012.
- We require 3 bottles per entry (regardless of size), limit of 3 entries per person. No fee required.
- Each homebrewer may enter up to 3 beers into the competition.
- Submit entry forms and beer bottles IN PERSON to our MAIN Office in Pacific Beach, located at 5965 Santa Fe Street, San Diego, CA 92109. ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AT ANY OF OUR BREWERY RESTAURANTS. YOU MUST DROP OFF TO THE MAIN OFFICE.
- Three bottles of each entry must be submitted for judging (regardless of size).
- Each bottle must be properly labeled using the sample labels provided. Please note any special pouring instructions on each label.
- Bottles must be free of any other labels, brewery information, or logos.
- Entries must be boxed. Clearly label the box with your name, phone number, and the categories you have entered.
- Judging will be held during the week of May 29 through June 1, 2012 and conducted blind by a panel of Karl Strauss Brewing Company brewers and a panel of certified Cicerones®.
- Please follow the Brewers Association’s Beer Style Guidelines when entering your beer. Judges will be using these guidelines to evaluate each beer. A list of guidelines are available here. Please note that this is NOT a BJCP sanctioned contest and no score sheets will be returned.
- Karl Strauss will choose a Grand Prize winner to brew the Pro-Am beer, along with First, Second, and Third prize winners who will score Karl Strauss swag and other prizes.
Brewing the winning Beer:
- The Grand Prize winner will be contacted no later than Friday June 8, 2012.
- If you win the competition, you must be able to commit to a pre-brew meeting and brew day.
- The brewing session will take place during the month August, 2012 TBA (dates subject to change and will be confirmed with Grand Prize winner).